Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Frida Kaehlo

It has been a while since I posted any work, but this past spring I took a weekend workshop with Lynne Perella, the subject was Frida Kaehlo one of my favorite painters.

We used Lynne's favorite resin paper for substrata, used gesso on the front and back to prime it, thus making the resin paper very strong and pliable. Oil pastels were liberally applied to obtain the desired background. The pastels were vigorously rubbed in with paper towels,then more colors applied until the background was completed. I then used stamps, collaged my favorite pictures of Frida, houses, birds, and other ephemera to represent what she loved. To finish the book I hand-stitched around each page and completed with a tassel.

The first picture is a view of the front and back page. The word Sadja, appears several times in her diary and it's a variation of the Sanskrit word Sadha meaning Heaven and earth. The numbers 3, 7, 9 have a mystical significance but Frida did not explain their importance in her life.
I loved working on this book and reading Frida's diary. She was a tormented soul but an extraordinary artist and an incredible human being




No comments:

Post a Comment